View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Weather Channel Founder says\"Global Warming is Biggest Scam in His

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Weather Channel Founder calls Global Warming Biggest Scam in History

Discuss....

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys know "the Weather Channel Founder", John Coleman, is just a TV weatherman and not a climatologist, right?:

http://icecap.us/index.php/go/joes-b...lobal_warming/

"I say this knowing you probably won’t believe a me, a mere TV weatherman, challenging a Nobel Prize, Academy Award and Emmy Award winning former Vice President of United States. So be it.

I have read dozens of scientific papers. I have talked with numerous scientists. I have studied. I have thought about it. I know I am correct. There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."

Well, I feel better already! A TV weather guy has "read dozens of papers", "studied", and "talked to numerous scientists" and he's sure there's no problem. I'm not sure why anyone even takes global warming seriously after this.

[/ QUOTE ]

"dozens of papers" should be a key indicator that this man is uneducated on the topic. I know at least four people that have read over 300 peer review journals and probably a 1,000 scholarly letters/posts on the topic even though it's not even their own field. I read/skim/review a minimum of a dozen papers a day in my own line of work.

[ QUOTE ]
After Al Roker announced his skepticism, I thought we'd be done with this debate, but now that the TV weather guy who dreamed up The Weather Channel has thrown in his two cents, I think we should pretty much forget about this nonsense now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at Rokers bio on his personal website it appears he only has a BA in communications. Under current standards set by the AMS he wouldn't be allowed to earn an AMS seal and be a TV weatherman due to a lack of a B.S. in a related field. Things are changing (very slowly) in the AMS which is long overdue IMO.