View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Management Decision re: non-tipping patron of restaur

My post wasn't solely to call management cheap. They do what they have to do to keep their businesses running. They have to pay all of the overhead, the staff, taxes, etc. I understand that their not just forking out $2.13 an hour and cackling gleefully at the gobs of money they take in. Owning a restaurant is a hard life, my wife's family used to own one, and they had to do a lot of hard things to stay in business, sometimes. (Any of the older Philly area folks might remember Greenwood Dairy)

But, for people to come here and complain that a 6-top that effectively pays the waiter $10 an hour is considered 'cheap' or 'scumbags for leaving a 15% tip', just reeks of entitlement to me. A lot of people work very, very hard for a wage that isn't much better than that, and their wages aren't multiplied by 3 or 4 tables per night.

People who don't tip well suck. Anyone who has worked in the restaurant industry knows this. But a 15% tip is not the work of a scumbag and it isn't being cheap, either.