View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: And good web sites for kids? 12 years old and less.

Here is a site that anyone with kids on the internet should check out.
NetSmartz
The site has information for Parents, teachers, Teens and kids. Go over the information and have the kids go over the things that apply to them. As anyone on this forum should know the internet is a great place and a sewer at the same time.

I have done presentations and been to quite a few lectures on Child safety on the internet and some of the stuff I have seen and learned about makes my stomach turn. The internet is a shopping mall for pedophiles. That is not to say that there are not a ton of good things out there for kids but safety needs to be stressed. The last lecture I went to on Internet safety for kids had an old statistic that 1 in 5 children on the internet had been propositioned by someone to do something they shouldn't. The presenter was a bit angry with the statistic because in her work she said she believes that number to be way off and that far more children are propositioned than that. One of the things she does is set up fake identities, usually 13 or 14 YO girls and go into chat rooms. She said at that time the longest it had taken for a character to be approached was 8.5 seconds. They always made sure to have a name used that made it very apparent that this was supposed to be a 13 or 14 YO child. They had 12 chat sessions going on live on a second while she did the presentations and is was amazing what some were saying to this character. The character had been created just the night before.

Here is another link to a site that has presentations on Internet Safety for kids and materials that are free to use by anyone who wants to take the ball and do these presentations in their area.

Internet Safety for Kids