View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Ron Paul quotation - Is it a hoax?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not American so I don't really have much thoughts about Ron Paul. So I'm not pro or anti in anyway, so don't read my comment that way.

I would however expect someone running or holding high office not to make public errors about the content of his nation's constitution, and that shouldn't really be an unreasonable expectation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point, however, where Ron makes minor slip-ups about irrelevant issues such as whether God is mentioned very much, other politicians ignore vast swathes of the constitution and enact appalling legislation like the Patriot act, Military commissions act, etc etc etc. A little perspective is required here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most politicians don't profess to be constitutional experts. Most politicians are policy-oriented: they want to do things because they think they will have beneficial results. They will usually leave it to lawyers and judges to determine whether or not their plans are constitutional.

RP, on the other hand, has an entire ideology built around the notion that he understands the Constitution very well. Many of his interpretations run counter to the judgments of the Supreme Court. IOW, his claim is that he is the best authority on the meaning and interpretation of the Constitution. For him to make such a ridiculous mistake is pretty damning to that claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not. Take any prolific writer, dig through all their work, and you are bound to find mistakes about things they are experts at. All this shows is that the man's human. I would be much more concerned about someone who never made any kind of mistake like this ever.

Of course, it's quite amusing that all of you haters can't get the man on his issues so you have to attack him for stupid crap like this. We just need to get Redbean in here now.