View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: laptop suggestions?

Honestly, I would highly recommend staying away from Dell. Their computers have a great tendency to fizzle away much too quickly. For example, my inspiron 6000 had the screen burn out in a year and a half. A friend's WXGA+ screen on his laptop is fizzling away now after 2 years. His 20 inch monitor...the same...Also, there's a class action suit against them for owners of the 600 series I believe, for much of the same. You can find great laptops these days for relatively cheap. Futureshop, Bestbuy, TigerDirect etc have pretty good deals. No reason why you can't get a Duocore, 2 gigs of ram, 17 inch for less then a thousand, if you want 1900x1200 resolution it'll set you back a little more. HP, Acer, Toshiba, Sony, IBM are what I would look at pretty much in that order. And if you're looking for optimal performance and efficiency, I'd REALLY recommend staying away from Vista, unless you like unnecessary overendulgent time-wasting "super-cool" features that have no purpose other then to "dazzle", while your comp idols at 400-800 megs of ram. I'd try to find an XP.