Thread: TLDR Beer Club
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: TLDR Beer Club

With that encouragement, I'll proceed.

Last night I broke into a 6 pack of Rodenbach Flemish Sour Ale ($8.99 US for six 8.5 oz bottles). I was skeptical to say the least, as "sour" is not a flavor I equate with good beer.

This ale is certainly not for everyone. The label says that this is a blended ale, with 75% "fresh" and 25% aged ale top fermented with a "proprietary" microflora that gives its sourness. The pour is mellow into a tankard with barely any head. The nose is sweet apple cider-ish, sort of like a snake bite (cider and ale). The sourness overpowers at the back of the palate, but a patient sipper will find the sweetness of fruit preserves and an earthy malt.

I admit that I didn't particularly enjoy the first sip, but I pressed on in the interest of science. More hops would help balance the sourness and the sweetness, but would render the brew less remarkable. By the second bottle my palate (or my expectations) had adjusted and I enjoyed it. At 5.1% ABV it's on the lighter side, but this is more of a novelty sipper than a football game gulper.

I reiterate, Rodenbach Flemish Sour Ale is not for everyone, but it is worth checking out simply because of the uniqueness of the style. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 1/2