View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Re: raising the turn for a free showdown or for value?

[ QUOTE ]
-Ability for hero to fold to a 3 bet

-Room for improvement of hero's hand (Set versus a possible flush betting into you, classic example,

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that these are contradictory. If you have a bunch of outs, then you won't be able to fold to a 3-bet.

Personally, I don't use the free showdown play very often anymore, and when I try it, it seldom seems to "work." People very rarely fold anything to it, at least in my experience. It's surprising how often I'll see players with TAG stats call turn raises with something like middle pair and an overcard. This is obviously speculation, but I would guess that most of the folds I've induced with this play have probably been air.

When I do run this play, I like to have a hand I can easily fold to further aggression. For example, I open-raise with 88 from MP or something, and BB calls. The flop is T74 or something similar, and he weak leads. I'll often call this flop and raise any turn, and this will in fact often result in a fold, but that's not because villain is ditching his AT; it's because he had crap and decided to take a shot at me on a bad-looking board.