Thread: The Rivalry
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: The Rivalry

[ QUOTE ]
IMO college football rivalries are way overhyped. Navy fans rushed the field after giving the Irish their 8th loss on the season. Sweet. Army-Navy routinely suck yet they put that trash on NBC? No thanks. UM and OSU are power college football programs, but to me that's just another regular season game, unless they meet in the NC game. I don't mind UM, but OSU fans are beyond annoying, especially considering it ISNT EVEN A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM. For some reason, I object to claiming an amateur athletic competition as being "The Rivalry".

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of this has been said in some way or another, but I'll chime in late.

I think college rivalries are almost the only ones left. How many good sports rivalries in pro sports do we really have? Boston-NY obviously, but what else. I'm a Chiefs homer, and Chiefs-Raiders isn't even a rivalry really anymore. With free agency the people you are supposed to hate end up playing with you in a few years. Hated Donnie Edwards because he was a Charger, and now he's a Chief. College is so much more passionate because the players playing for OSU aren't likely to be playing for Michigan in the future. Interstate rivalries are always a blast (haven't missed a KU-KSU game in a long while, tickets for freaking Iowa State Iowa were through the roof, etc.)

We have a few rivalries from time to time in pro sports, but they are often only for a few years at a time (NE-Indy wasn't a rivalry for a long time, and it won't be once one of them goes to the crapper). College football will always have its rivalry games and they may be over-hyped, but I'll take it over the majority of professional "rivalries" anyday. The amateur aspect is part of what makes it so appealing to me.