View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Latest AP press release

[ QUOTE ]
I think this part is interesting.

[ QUOTE ]
• “The system breach was the result of a recent internal software release impacting internal reporting. The breach was exploitable only by an authorized AP person that manipulated the internal reporting software, together with the AP gaming software. The security breach was not, therefore, the result of an external action, and no individual outside AP could exploit the breach.

• “There is no evidence of the current or past existence of a “super-user” account. There is no player account in the AP system with the ability to see other players’ hole cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was speculation that this exploit was related to the release of the new client. They appear to be confirming this.

They also appear to be defining a super-user account as an account that someone can log into the client software with and see other players' hole cards, and that no such account exists. With that definition, I imagine this is a true statement.

I hope they eventually release more details about exactly how the system was exploited.

From the above it sounds like the new client software began reporting back information (maybe screen grabs?) that could be intercepted by something on the AP network and used to determine the user hole cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way they would roll out debugging or cheating software into their application when they are a huge company making lots of money. This code was obviously there from the start, and may or may not have been exploited for a long time.

They are just trying to trick people into thinking this issue hasn't been around for a while, and a software upgrade is a nice convenient event.

I'll just give you rule #1 of software development: When your code is making you millions of dollars and is working perfectly, you don't install a backdoor that could potentially [censored] everything up or be traced to win $100,000 one time.