View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Management Decision re: non-tipping patron of restaur

[ QUOTE ]

I have never tipped in a restaurant, but I don't live in the USA. I agree that your system sucks. People should be paid fully by their employers and not have to hope or even beg for charity from the people they are serving, who are given a fixed estimate to pay beforehand. This should be the same in every job.
I'm guessing we agree or partially agree on that much. But I don't get how it is fixing the system to keep tipping them until they get paid properly. Surely that is exactly the opposite of fixing the system? Supply and demand would tell us that if everybody stopped tipping then less people would take up these jobs, and employers would be forced to raise wages in order to attract employees.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think restaurant jobs are an amazing way for young people to make pretty decent money.

One buddy of mine out of college was making near 50k a year serving at a higher-class restaurant.

There's no way in hell that any business owner could justify these types of salaries. All you waiters out there that are crying about bad tips but making $20/hr or more should really shut the hell up. You're overpaid as it it.

It's practically charity that we tip you as much as we do. There are a million high school kids that are more capable and more helpful than you making $10 an hour working other retail jobs.

I tip well, and just consider it a way of helping out the younger crowd while they are broke.

If I owned a business and saw a manager turn someone away because they were a bad tipper I'd fire them on the spot.