View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Management Decision re: non-tipping patron of restaur

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And autograt would be the dumbest possible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just another way to tell the customer not to come back. Too bad he wouldn't get the hint.

BTW, people in the US who don't tip suck. Pay a minimal tip (10-15%) and work to get their wages raised. It's the culture in the US to tip and it's built into their income, so don't [censored] them because the system sucks.

Work to eliminate the need to tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never tipped in a restaurant, but I don't live in the USA. I agree that your system sucks. People should be paid fully by their employers and not have to hope or even beg for charity from the people they are serving, who are given a fixed estimate to pay beforehand. This should be the same in every job.
I'm guessing we agree or partially agree on that much. But I don't get how it is fixing the system to keep tipping them until they get paid properly. Surely that is exactly the opposite of fixing the system? Supply and demand would tell us that if everybody stopped tipping then less people would take up these jobs, and employers would be forced to raise wages in order to attract employees.