View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Bonds Responds

[ QUOTE ]
RB clearly pointed out that HR/AB's did not really change following the 1969 rule changes. I agree but think some of that has to do with the introduction of 3 new pitcher friendly parks.
I would also like to add to this that Aaron's home HR rate increase was inline with league wide HR rates at FCS:
Aaron- 1.39/1 FCS/road. League 1.35/1 FCS/other.

Bonds is a little different. Bonds .954/1 SBC/other. League .706/1 SBC/other.

[/ QUOTE ]

This and the post above put forward a great hypothesis that sounds solid at first, between the additional pither friendly parks in 1969-1971, to the rate increase at FCS as opposed to the league, to the effect of the rules changes and the expansion. The same combination of hypothesis that I've seen over the years ad nauseum, fwiw...

Except...I'd like to point out on little detail than many don't seem to "get".....

Everyone in the league during Aaron's time played by the same rules, they played in the same parks, and they all benefitted from expansion.

Yet...Hank's increase in HR rate relative to the rest of the league increased greatly, despite the rest of the entire league enjoying the same benefits!

[ QUOTE ]

From age 30-34: Hank's rate was 2.5 times the entire league.
From age 35-39: Hank's rate was 3.75 times the entire league.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hank's rate increase relative to the league cannot be explained by rules or expansion, as the everyone in the league switched to those rules and benefited from the same expansion.

Over the balance of the league, they were all similarly affected by the new pitcher friendly away parks....and the only real substantial difference betwee Aaron and everyone else in the league is he played all his home games at FCS, and while it was a great advantage, it was not that substantial to account for such a huge increase in rate relative to the entire league.

Just to reiterate, to normalize for outside effects such as rules changes, expansion, pitcher friendly away parks, etc......we can compare their HR rates relative to the league, and then gauge the increase over the given time periods....and here is what we find:

From age 30-34: Hank's rate was 2.5 times the entire league.
From age 35-39: Hank's rate was 3.75 times the entire league.

From age 30-34: Bond's rate was 2.5 times the entire league.
From age 35-39: Bond's rate was 3.75 times the entire league.

Scarily similar....

Have a nice day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]