View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Quitin time for Doyle

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love how this one hand defines the people who understand poker and those that dont.

I strongly suspect anyone disagreeing with Doyles play has never played above 25NL or their weekly home game - if they even play the game.

Best post in thread
[ QUOTE ]
i dont know why doyle is betting the turn just to fold to a raise. with that mind set, he should just check behind and call a river bet by gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm funny cause i disagree with his play there and i play and beat much higher than you. it wasnt an awful fold and doesnt really deserve ridicule but i def wouldnt fold there against J.G. Just because an idiot thinks his hand is the nuts doesnt mean it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are exceptions to every rule, and i left wiggle room in my statement for a reason.

The difference is you analysed the situation differently to Doyle - with the same analysis as he made its a fold.

Its VERY easy to analyse a hand with all the info we have as viewers of the show - not just the hands that Gold and Doyle had in that hand but all the other plays that Gold has made on TV - something that Doyle said he didnt (he claims to have never watched the HSP episodes, though i suspect that is advertising, either way he doesnt have this season's info).

My point isnt that calling is bad, or that folding is good, its that the people talking in absolutes (ZOMG, he folded 3rd nuts to JG, how, lol, retire) are missing that there are lots of subtleties to the game and that the people coming down strongly in either direction are probably missing that.

That quote i have there is a great example of missing the sublety - the idea Doyle had a "mindset" that he would fold to a raise when he put in the turn bet entirely misses out all the thought between that turn bet, Golds raise and Doyles fold. There was tonnes and tonnes of info there.

Also, as i later said its interesting how Doyle and Barry analysed the hand at the same time (without the known hands) where one assumed Gold had the nuts (or that he has 3rd nuts beat the vast majority of the time) and the other thought he had the nut straight and would have called down with anything that beats that.