View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Is Lidge Back!?

[ QUOTE ]
LOL @ using saves/blown saves numbers to prove your point.

Lidge 2007

3.36 ERA
131 ERA+
88 SO/30 BB (3:1 ratio)
11.x K/9

Real awful numbers there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Astros fans are probably speaking more from what it was like watching him this year, as compared to 2004-2005. In 2004 and 2005, he pitched with a lot of confidence, and when he entered a game everyone knew it was over. His slider made a lot of batters look absolutely silly. When he came in a game, everyone was confident that he would close it out. Now there just isn't that confidence anymore: he made me more nervous more times this year than any other athlete in sports.

Do keep in mind he didn't record his first save this year until July 17, and he had been promoted back to the closer's role in June. Most of his solid work this year was as a setup guy, not as a closer. There seemed to be a noticeable difference, through much of the year, in his confidence when he came in to close as opposed to when he came in for middle relief.

Yes, he's still one of the best relievers in baseball, and anyone suggesting otherwise is an idiot. I'm definitely going to miss him. In the end, this move made sense because he's a year away from free agency, and the Astros are more than a few players away from contention.

I hope he regains his form as a closer. As someone on another forum I read put it, cheesesteaks + a closer who makes you nervous = heart attacks. And as several other people have said, Phillies fans are a lot faster to boo than Astros fans, and Lidge got booed a few times in Houston this year.