View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: NFL team in Toronto.... Could it actually happen?

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. People care about their own team, local rivals/division foes, and then teams that are good/fun to watch. If the Toronto team gets good, which in a league with this kind of parity isn't unlikely, people will care. They get put in a division, they'll have rivals, people will care, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope you're right. And I'm not saying a NFL team in Toronto wouldn't do very well or make money. Rather I'm saying that there are quite a few markets in the states (i.e. more than most people would initially think) that would do better from the NFL's perspective.

A team in Toronto compared to a hypothetical identical team in the states would receive much less media attention and American fan interest due to the fact that its in Canada. If you look at how the Raptors or Jays are covered (granted the Jays haven't been relevant in a while, but the Raptors last year are a good example) compared to similar teams in the states this becomes pretty apparent. It's ok in basketball and baseball because these sports aren't as TV oriented as football. But I really believe the NFL won't put a team in Toronto for a long time because of the poor expected performance on TV.