View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Fulltilt froze my account with 47 grand in it

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise on the topic - of course freezing account for so long is nonsense. Especially in bot detection. You either have evidence of automated play or not. You either have technical/statistical evidence of multiaccounting or not. What one needs to investigate for 20 days ?!

[/ QUOTE ]
One possible explanation is they used outside consultants to doublecheck their conclusions before formally announcing their findings. For example a mathematician to review the statistical significance of their comparison of player stats.

Or they decided to develop additional analysis software to look deeper into OP's hand histories. Writing software takes time.

I don't have the slightest problem with FTP taking their time. I'm sure they were virtually certain of her guilt as soon as they saw the basic stat comparison. So they froze her account and then spent three weeks triplechecking their conclusion. What would you have them do? Let the bot keep playing for another three weeks? Or skip the three weeks and just take her money immediately without making the effort to be absolutely sure?

If after three weeks they unexpectedly realize they've pulled a TeddyFBI's Mom then they apologize profusely and give her a nice bonus as compensation.

It's not perfect but all the other ways of handling the situation are worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we assume that they are developing now, or radically refining their methods with every next multiaccounting case, then it can take such long interval of time.

My point was that I don't think the mathematics behind detecting multiaccounting based on statistics is so complex, and if you have the methods for that, then you don't need weeks for that, it is basically an instant review of logs and data (it is the same for botting, simply the data there is different, and as I said, botting is no issue one should bother).

I agree that they can take time in the case when their investigation are already conclusive, and their decision is basically to close the account, but they first freeze it for few weeks just in case. I disagree (if that was ever in question) that they can take such amount of time for routine investigation, or for something that will produce false positives sometimes.