View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Antigua\'s WTO Case Getting Some Coverage

[ QUOTE ]
TE, is there any way to get the PPA off its stance that the IGREA would solve US lack of compliance with the WTO Antiqua decision on remote gambling. Jay has repeatedly stated that this bill does not comply with the WTO decision in any manner.
What the PPA needs to press for is repeal of the UIGEA and exemption for online gambling from federal and state anti-gambling laws to comply with the WTO decision. Or the PPA can just opine that Congress needs to comply with the WTO decision.
I'm sorry, but every time I read that the IGREA is an act to comply with the WTO decision, I just cringe about the ignorance of our press and our politicians. At least the PPA does not have to join them.
BTW, Skall, a very good explanation of the WTO ruling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will discuss this in detail with John Pappas.

IGREA can be modified to comply with the WTO decision. Frank has repeatedly said he'd love to do so, inlcuding at the June 8 hearing. His bill is what it is because that's all he could do and keep it in the House Financial Services Committee. I don't know if it will be amended for this, but it can be, especially with Rep. Conyers generally on board (I write "generally" because he's cosponsoring the Wexler bill, but isn't yet cosponsoring IGREA). Also, I realize Jay has his opinion, and I respect it, but there are other opinions, as you saw in the two articles posted by Bryan.