View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Raul Paul Roasts Bernanke

Boro,

i like your basket of goods that have many suppliers idea. managing/determining it though obviously has issues...but as you said, nothing is perfect.

[ QUOTE ]
The moral of the story is that these economy wide econometric numbers really AREN'T that useful. The only number that is useful, imo, really IS the money supply. That's the one that drives the rest. It's the one that allows you to see the man behind the curtain and what he is doing to you and the economy.

[/ QUOTE ]]

this, however, is what i was talking about. real life, in the form of people living day to day hasn't been robbed like ron paul and you imply wiht this to the degree that the money supply increases.

sure, milk is whatever it costs, but that isn't a 20% yearly increase (or whatever money has averaged over a long time). further, important things like durable goods etc. aren't changing anywhere near what the money supply would imply they are.

additionally, money supply #s catch huge flows from assets to bank notes/credit etc. that aren't useful and bias upwards your "true" measure of inflation.

i'm not saying CPI is the answer, but that changes in money supply isn't the obvious answer either.

Barron