View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: (razz) Tournament hand - fold 5th?

[ QUOTE ]
I should fold 3rd? That's insane.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it?
3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5___folds
Hero: A 3 4___raises
Seat 3: xx xx K___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 9___folds
Seat 6: xx xx T___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5___folds

You don't have a single card on the board and two of your 5s and a 6 are out. You are the third short-stack and you only really have a couple serious hands you can play. Seat 7 did not call the BI, he raised in the face of three hands with better cards showing. By your own admission, you were not thinking about his stack size. You have a lousy board, a raiser in front of you, no big stack to take chances with.

Yeah, you fold. I'd have folded.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but this is all about odds.

If he has the absolute nightmare hand for me, like the worst possible hand that he could have, period, how am I doing? I'll lose 2/3 times.

[/ QUOTE ] Uh-huh. But in a tournament, you don't have time to find that theoretical winning time that is going to make up, in some very small way, for your two losses. And that winning one, whenever it is, will NOT make up for the equity you have in this tournament.

[ QUOTE ]
But also there is a definite value in knocking out another player, since we're down to 12.

[/ QUOTE ] Then you let the big stacks do that unless you have a very strong hand and you don't, regardless of it being three wheels.

[ QUOTE ]
But I will say that, even given his actual hand I made the correct call on 5th.

[/ QUOTE ]If it's all about odds, and you know how to calculate odds, and the outcome didn't matter, and you really believe this - why did you bother posting it in the first place?

Nevermind. This is your game. Go thou forth and conquer. I would be completely delighted to see you at the final table tonight with 7 other 2+2ers.