View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Poker as a skilled gambling game that involves wagering skill

[ QUOTE ]
I don’t think we can ever successfully separate “gambling” from poker, in the real world. I think we either need to create a new wagering term, to take its place… or show how poker gambling is similar enough to other forms of business gambling to make it “legitimate” enough to be declared legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

This to me is the problem with your central theis.

There is no need to try and invent another term.

As discussed in a number of places the true skills and valuable life lessons either learned in poker or applied to poker is what makes a sucessful poker player similar to a sucessful business person.

You briefly touched on an aspect that might help your argument and it is more common in blackjack than poker, I am sad to say, and that is bankroll management. This is where sucessful decisions between business and poker are the most similar.

Also missing from your central argument is a better discussion of the mathematics of poker. You are in perhaps one of the best forums in the world with some of the better poker math brains that exist in poker today.

Some one like Jesus, who is both a math genius and a proven business man with his applying bankroll skills to poker skills as a way of maximizing your poker return while almost completely eliminating the chance of going broke is perhaps your best model for advancing your thesis.

Having the recent good fortune to spend a decent amount of time with him, I can safely say that he seemed to me to be the type of person who might be willing to help you on further developing this essay. I would certainly not go a lot further without considering the bankroll rules he employed in twice building a bankroll of over $10,000, once starting with $1.00 and again from freerolls.

As I understand it Chris may be writing a book on the recent 0 to $10k experience, but I do not know that first hand.

D$D