View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Home Help/Advice Thread

I just bought my first place a 2 br/2.5 bath town home and am just starting to do things around the house. I'm young and am pretty clueless as to how to do a lot of things around the house. Luckily I won't have to do any outside work as of yet, but the inside stuff is beginning to pile up.

So this thread is for any of you homeowners to ask how to do things that you can't figure out the solution for and also for some of you veteran homeowners to let us new guys know some of the things that have been the most useful to you over the years (tools, appliances, etc.)

One of the first thing my wife has asked me to do is to hang up her 2 shot glass racks that her dad and grandpa made. So I find the studs, drill two 3/32" holes (one for each) and put two mounting screws in them. I go to hang the first one up and it looks like the one in the diagram on the right, slanted down a bit and the top part of it can move up to about 1". I thought about putting two picture mounts on the back with the teeth on them so that it won't move around, but the border is only 1/2" and the backing I can't put a screw in without it going through to the front. I don't want to put her shot glass collection in there and have it fall down especially since one of them is only a foot away from the garage door. I've already hung a couple of things without a problem , but this one has me stumped.

So far I've found the things I've needed most:
Drill with many different bits
Stud Finder
Adjustable wrench (replaced shower head with)