View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Quitin time for Doyle

"After the flush hand with Doyle and Jamie, Doyle leaned over and asked me what I thought Jamie had. I told him I thought Jamie had an Ace high straight. When Doyle told me he could beat that, I told him I wouldn't have folded. Doyle said, 'I know by the way Jamie was acting that he thought he had the nuts, but I hope he didn't misjudge his own strength'. Later when Jamie tells Doyle what he had, Doyle gets steamed up and costs me money with a play he wouldn't ordinarily make."

This is what Barry said about the hand. So:

-Barry would have won the pot; but he would have lost it with a smaller flush, whereas Doyle would not have.

-Doyle had doubts about his play, evidenced both by his questioning of Barry and, more importantly, by his statement that he hoped Jamie hadn't misjudged the strength of his own hand.

-Nobody plays perfect. Here you have arguably the greatest no-limit cash game player ever and another who ranks in the top echelon all-time. One of them wasn't sure about his play. The other would have called Jamie down with a small flush and lost a bundle. In addition, Barry, who has played with Doyle a lot, states that Doyle cost him money afterwards because he went on tilt. Shouldn't Barry, of all people, recognize Doyle's tilt and have played accordingly? How can he blame anyone other than himself, rather than Doyle, for costing him money?