Thread: preflop raise?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: preflop raise?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so basicly you do advocate sacrifying a (significant?) preflop equity edge in order to maximize your postflop edge?

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Olrik - Exactly.

In a live limit game, unless you're playing idiots, you don't lose that much on the first round, and you easily gain it back on subsequent rounds when you actually do have an edge. (And when you don't, you lose less and can get out more easily). And that works better for me than raising on the first betting round whenever I have an edge. I think it depends a lot on your opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you raise you do give additional information about your hand but the players calling the raise also give away information about there hands as well. You can also limit the information you give away by adding a small percentage of hands you would not normally raise given the specific conditions to the groups of hands you do raise. Not raising because you don’t want to give up information seems short sighted to me. I mean you only have 3 options. Call, raise or fold and you are giving up one of thoughs…

I don’t think you have to sacrifice your pre-flop edge to maximize your post-flop edge they are not mutually exclusive. There are many reasons to raise pre-flop for value, to limit the field, to raise the stakes… compared to one reason for not raising. I’d like to hear other opinions on this.

[ QUOTE ]

There's more to it than just that.

There's also the deception factor in live games of seeming to be passive, because of play on the first betting round.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is seeming to passive inherently better the seeming to aggressive? I’ve never played live O8…