View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Terrible VO2Max, any suggestions?

Ty, the main points I was looking for is whether to do an HIIT type thing for 10 mins, or go for 25 or 40 mins however low the intensity, sound like the latter is probably more appropriate.

I think I may have made running difficulty sound worse than it is, but its definitely an unpleasant feeling - as opposed to lifting feeling really satisfying.

I used to be much more active, 10 years ago I played football regularly and 7 years ago I could kickbox sufficiently for a few full-contact fights. But then I went to uni - 1st year in catered halls (budgeted no extra cash for extra food, and no real kitchen facilities), that food couldn't sustain any activity (I lost 7lbs from about the build I am now.), and my fitness completely dropped off from there - obviously in conjunction with more drinking and even less activity.

I am better/more comfortable at HIIT type work - a kickboxing fight was only 3x 1 minute rounds at full intensity, and I wonder if then I could almost have been getting through it anaerobically (can that even make sense?), so thats why I think the steady longer sessions could hit what I am weaker at more accurately.

TY Breakfastburrito, your first post pretty explains what I had been thinking about.

Smiley, regarding 400m, I'd expect to be able to do that at a reasonable pace, I dont seem to mind pushing myself for a few minutes, and I can sprint fairly well, I think I can row 2k pretty fast for a non-rower (but it kills me!). Its 1500m jog at a steady pace thats more daunting - where I just feel all my energy has been drained after 600-800.

Sounds like I should probably do 5k on a running machine, however long it takes, and build up the speed till its a good jog all the way. Is it best to do that every day or are rest days good for cardio?