View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

Aimee Mann

Aimee Mann is an American signer/songwriter who I'm sure a lot of you already know.

She started out as the lead singer in the 80's band til tuesday, whose song Voices Carry became an MTV staple.

As til tuesday put out more albums they became more Aimee Mann and less a group. Their last album, Everything's Different Now can really be considered her first solo work - and it's an excellent place to start.

(Wished You Were) Lucky - bad music video alert! great song, though.

During her solo career Mann has had constant battles with her labels, as they constantly rejected her work as uncommercial. This led to her abandoning labels in general and releasing a number of her own albums independently.

Mann is also known for her soundtrack work for the movie Magnolia. Her song Wise Up is famously used as a music montage that the characters in the film all sing along to:

Magnolia - Wise Up

Another song from the album, Save Me, was nominated for Best Original Song at that years' Oscars.

She and her husband, Michael Penn - another great singer/songwriter - often perform at a little bar in L.A. called Largo. It's small and intimate and like watching a coffee house performer who happens to have sold millions of CDs!

She also has a great sense of humor and often employs professional comedians to do the "between song banter" during her sets, as she hates to do any talking.

Other songs:

Stupid Thing

Pavlov's Bell

She Really Wants You (live)

Shed a Little Light (performing on The West Wing)

You Big Liebowski fans might also recognize her as the Nihilist Girlfriend who willingly gives up her green-painted toe!

She's also one of those inexplicably beautiful women who just just gets better looking the older she gets. I'm crazy about her.