View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: PASSAMAN POST #666. BBV 10 COMMANDMENTS

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Passaman: By your specious argumentation (no pun intended) and the lack of knowledge you're displaying on the subject of evolution, I have a strong suspicion that the reading material you've been exposed to have titles similar to the two books you referenced in regards to the origins of the universe ("The Creator and the Cosmos" and "The Fingerprint of God.")

Without having read the books, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they contain little more than pseudo-science and cherry-picked facts, designed to cater to a Christian audience.

I'd suggest maybe branching out a little, and treat the science in books with "God" or "Creator" in their titles with a modicum of skepticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

That limb you went out on is a bit tenuous. The two books I referenced are written by Dr. Hugh Ross, an astrophysicist and cosmologist at Cal Tech, one of the most respected in the nation in his field. And his books are specifically designed to reach a non-Christian audience. They are not evangelistic in scope, but uses authentic science to prove that "old earth" is compatible with what the bible says in the creation narrative, and to show that the universe was designed by a Designer.

Hugh Ross launched his career at age seven when he went to the library to find out why stars are hot. Physics and astronomy captured his curiosity and never let go. At age seventeen he was the youngest person yet to serve as director of observations for Vancouver's Royal Astronomical Society. With the help of a provincial scholarship and a National Research Council (NRC) of Canada fellowship, he completed his undergraduate degree in physics (University of British Columbia) and graduate degrees in astronomy (University of Toronto). The NRC also sent him to the United States for postdoctoral studies. At Caltech he researched quasars, some of the most distant and ancient objects in the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hugh Norman Ross (born July 24, 1945) is a Canadian-born Old Earth creationist and Christian apologist. An astronomer by training, he has established his own ministry called Reasons To Believe that promotes a form of Old Earth creationism known as progressive creationism. Ross accepts the scientific evidence of the age of the earth and the age of the universe, but he rejects evolution and abiogenesis as explanations for the history and origin of life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Ross_(creationist)

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! A Christian with perfect scientific credentials who teaches that the earth is 7 billion years old and that the universe has a definite design. Thanks for the support!