View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: **Official 2007 Washington Redskins thread***

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of it is the playcalling and/or the play of the WRs. They dont seem to have much of a middle passing game aside from the 3rd down curl back route Cooley runs or an occasional ARE slant route.

I cant really tell if this is a result of poor playcalling or the WRs just not getting separation. I am leaning toward playcalling. It seems like the Skins just dont like passing in non-obvious passing situations.

Lots of run center, run left, 10 yard curl to Cooley. Throw in the occasional playaction bomb and that seems to be the extent of the offense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. I don't understand why there isn't more play action on 1st and 2nd down, when the Redskins are expected by EVERYONE to run. Every drive seems to be 1st down run for 4 yards, 2nd down run for 3 yards, 3rd and 3 incomplete pass on an awful playcall. Part of this is due to the O-line I guess, since they aren't as good as passblocking as they would be. Another part is that Campbell, although he has a serious arm, is incredibly inaccurate on those play action long bombs. Several times this season Moss has burned people but Campbell has overthrown him. But seriously, play action on 1st and 2nd down, especially 10-12 yard passes to Cooley, and this offense would suddenly open up. No one expects pass from the skins on 1st and 2nd down, so they play run, which (again, along with the o-line) is why the running game has been so crappy up until last week.

Also, on the same note, I was LOLing while crying when, during the 2nd half of the Pats game, the offense suddenly switched to play-action heavy. When they were already down by 40+ points. Some more great playcalling there, I'm sure those fake runs down 6 scores totally messed up the Pats prevent defense.