View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 PM

Default Re: My bankroll managment connundrum

Others have ansered your bankroll/moving up situation, but we get a lot of questions like these on BFI.

[ QUOTE ]

1) My student debt is at 9k$ and I pay a high % on it (works out to about 200$ a month)

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks like over 25% interest, which is insane. You need to take out a cheaper loan for the principal and pay this off. If you can't find/get a cheaper loan, then I'd pay this off ASAP as it's a real cash drain.

[ QUOTE ]

2) The @#&%*%# canadian dollar is shooting through the roof with no signs of slowing down, so the value of my roll is decreasing as each day passes. (my roll is in american, but I live in canada)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in a similar situation. My primary banking in in GBP, so my online $US roll takes a hammering.

I hedge my online roll by shorting the USD against the GBP. For this I use CFD's (contracts for difference) which are financial derivatives. (I'm sure they're available to Canadians through many brokers).

eg:
-you have about $40k USD online decreasing in value fast.
-sell $40k worth of CFDs against CAD.
-You can get this on about 5% (often less) margin, so you need to put down $2000 in your CFD account.
-since you are effectively loaning your CFD broker $40K, then you will recieve interest at LIBOR(~5%) -2% or so.
-so 3% on $40k is $1200 per year
-this interest is usually paid daily.

So:
1. Your bankroll is protected against further declines in the $US
2. You can paid around $3.30 per day interest on $2000
3. If the $US stengthens, then your roll increases in relative value while your hedge decreases.