View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: General life questions / observations / random whatever thread

Possibly slightly TLDR random whatever spot:

My girlfriend and I were at a wedding last month, and the groom's family paid for dinner in a real nice restaurant right by the Red Square. There was always plenty of alcohol on the table, but water bottles didn't get replaced right away. Since my gf was thirsty and didn't feel like getting all wasted, I went to the bar a few times and asked for water bottles.

At some point, another section opens up, which is kind of a night club, and strangers start coming in. A little after that I made another trip to the bar for some water, but the guy from our section wasn't there. So I just walked over to where the night club was (same longass bar), and asked for three bottles of water.

The guy handed me three bottles (12oz or so) of water, but I had to pay close to 20 bucks. This was the same water that was distributed freely all night, and that got taken away if someone seemed to have abandoned a bottle. I wanted to say 'I'm actually with that group over there', but then my drunk ass thought WTF that just means the groom's father will have to pay for it. He already paid for all your other probably over the top expensive [censored], you can pony up $20 yourself, you stingy bastard.

By the time I got back to my seat, I realized that it was very unlikely that they counted each and every water bottle and charged them over $6 for it. I decided that it was too late to be a bitch about it though, and just ate the loss. But I still feel kind of owned by the restaurant to this day.

To add insult to injury, there ended up being a dance performance in another room shortly after, and by the time we got back, the one bottle we hadn't opened, but paid for, was gone!

Given that I already made the mistake of walking away, what could I have reasonably done about this without making an ass out of myself?