View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/5 - 500k buyin - Spoilers expected)

I dont usually post here, but what the hell, the Brunson-Gold hand will probably go down in poker history, here's my 2 cents:

People who really dislike Doyle's fold because Gold is such a bad player are totally missing the point. Gold aint THAT bad, and even bad players get cards sometimes.

I think its clear Doyle read Gold like a book (all the pros seem to be able to do this) and knew this time he had strength. There were still 2 spades out there to beat Doyle, certainly Gold having one of those 2 (and another spade) was possible. It was also obvious Doyle knew it was possible Gold had a lower flush, or a very small chance of even a worse hand.

What I think Doyle also "read" was that Gold was certainly looking to go all in with his hand (despite his failure to value bet and his habit of just calling with winners, I think it was clear he wanted to go all in with Doyle here). So, do you risk 500K to find out if he has one of those other 2 possible higher flushes or not?

All you guys who argue for yes have good points but are, I think, forgetting that its FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Just like in my game I may make that call for $50 but not for $500 - Doyle figures its overall worth a $50K or so bet, but not a $500k bet. Takes a lot of play to get back a 500K mistake, even for Doyle Brunson, and so he chose not to risk it. I cant say it was wrong by any stretch.

Skallagrim