View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Ranking of AK among best starting hands

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That was not my point. AK is only as good as the player that plays it. 22 is only as good as the player that plays it. AK is great for PFR and 3 betting, but generally plays very poorly after flop when both hands are face up and AK misses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say that's backwards. AK still has some value when it misses, but an unimproved pair of deuces can stand very little heat. When every card on the board is an overcard to your pair, you don't ever really know if you're ahead. Plus it gets counterfeit a lot.

I'd say 22 is certainly easier to play in most cases, since generally I'm playing for set value. Now and again it's reasonable to turn it into a bluffing hand on the flop, but for the most part fit or fold keeps this hand simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, of course AK still has value but an unimproved AK is exactly the same hand it was preflop...an unimproved A high with a K kicker. I would rather that someone pushes preflop with AK to use its fold equity than overplay AK to the end vs a donk that can't let go of a midpocket. I often see the AK overplayed and wonder about the thought process. AK 3 barrels are all the rage but are really nothing more than 7,2 3 barrels bluffing to the river.