View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: nutrition questions

[ QUOTE ]
from what i understand about milk, its made up of casein and whey. i also read on the back of a lot of protein bars that the whey and/or casien in them comes from milk. so is it basically just as good to drink skim milk as it would be to drink some %100 whey supplement (except that you would be getting some extra casein)? mind that lactose is not an issue as i am highly lactose-tolerant. what makes pure protein supplements better than skim milk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, skim milk is great. In fact, Mark Rippetoe puts his guys on 1 gallon a day of milk for bulking. Milk supposedly has lots of good benefits aside from just the protein that you get in the whey. (edit : actually IMO 2% milk is better than skim because it's a better nutrition balance)

The reason most people sue the whey protein power is it's hard to drink enough milk to get that much protein, the powder is way more concentrated, and the milk contains a lot of sugar, which is really not a problem IMHO but some nutters trying to eat low carb think that's bad.

[ QUOTE ]

unrelated question: i read the back of the ingredients on several snacks that i buy, and they say they have 0g of transfat, but then listed in the ingredients is "partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil" or "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (or whatever)." that means they do have transfat, right? it just means that they have transfat, but they have less than 1 gram per serving, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that sounds like the stupid round-down rule. Some of those products actually have a huge percentage of transfat and they just get away with it by making the serving size really small. Sounds like some kind of packaged processed junk that you should avoid anyway.