View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/5 - 500k buyin - Spoilers expected)

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I don't think reverse implied odds really apply here; Doyle is in position. But I'm not strong enough in Game Theory to figure it all out if Jamie bluffs an optimal proportion on the river. That said if he doesn't bluff (as some of you claimed that we get stacked against higher flushes and win a small pot against bluffs) enough then it's a call turn, fold river - and that is not a RIO situation. Likewise (as is more accurate) his river range is more shifted to bluffs (as he doesn't VB enough) it's a call turn call river situation aagain not a RIO situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right that reverse implied odds don't really apply here, because Doyle is going with his read, which suggests Jamie is strong, or at least percieves himself to be.

So whilst Doyle will only win a small pot here if he's in front significantly, I think he has simply decided that he isn't in front significantly, so it's a moot point. Jamie's high strength tells and monster raise have convinced Doyle that Jamie is holding a stronger hand than himself. Yes, I think that Doyle obviously didn't totally discount the possiblity of Jamie holding the 9 high (maybe 7 high flush but I doubt it), but not only is it more likely for Jamie to have the higher flush based on combinations, but also due to the tells his is displaying.

Reverse implied odds do come into a bit if we include the possiblity of Jamie actually getting away from the nine high flush (or the seven, if we're including it in his range) if he is called on the turn. While we can debate whether or not Jamie would have been able to check/fold the nine high flush if called on the turn, I honestly think he would do it with the seven high.

Then again as I said, I don't think he's raising $100,000 to an overbet from Doyle with a seven high flush. I'm honestly surprised he did it with the 9 high flush and think it was on the edge of his range to make the bet with.