View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Re: November \"I FORGOT MY MANTRA\" Low Content chit-chat thread

[ QUOTE ]
Fish,

I'm really really sorry if you answered this already, but I have no idea how I would go about searching for it if you had (without lots of effort).

Anyway, how often do you go hunting? Like every weekend only? Every other night?

[/ QUOTE ]

No Problem. No need to be sorry. I don't know that I've ever said anything about this.

Anyway, I go out when I can. During bowhunting season, shich starts the beginning of September I will sometimes go out in the evenings after work and then maybe a day or two on the weekends. Once rifle season starts, towards the end of October until the sunday after thanksgiving I will go out when I can which is usually on weekends since we are losing daylight now to hunt after much after work although I will occasionally go out after work before the time change. Sometimes we hunt all weekend sometimes not. Usually Saturday is the big day but it just depends on whatever else is going on.

Sometimes I will take a week or two off during rifle season. Sometimes we will get a bunch of us to go out west elk hunting up in the mountains sometimes we just hunt around here since this is actually a really good area too. The only "problem" with hunting around where we live is that we have to draw a permit to hunt elk in the largest place where we have public land and a bull permit is a long draw. Out west there are places where we can rifle hunt bulls with just a general elk license.

When we hunt around here it is pretty laid back. We will figure out where we want to go and usually walk in a ways and then when we are done in that area we will drive somewhere else and walk that. Some days we are done after the morning hunt and some days we go for three or four of these walks. Just depends on how things go

This year my wife and I both got elk on opening day so we are not really under any pressure to fill the freezer so there is not as much "need" to get out hunting as hard. Now t is mostly for fun, find a nice buck and when there is an easy dry doe we will take one of them for sausage or I am sure there will be a lot of deer meat that we will give away this year too. we have a couple of tribal elders we know who will be really happy to have a deer and a couple of other people we know who are going to be able to use the meat as well.

After big game season is over we will do a bit of bird hunting until that closes and after that we will hunt coyotes, which is a gas as well. We call them in and it is pretty exciting when a coyote is coming in thinking they are getting a meal and we mess that up for them. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I have had some times when we have had coyotes come in pretty darn close before we open up on them. First one I ever shot was at about 8 yards at a dead run right at me when I shot.

We don't hunt quite as often after big game season is over but we go out when we can. It is usually an all day thing. We will go out and take a grill along and take a break for lunch and grill up deer steaks and shoot clay pigeons and have a really good time. Lots of fun.