Thread: Pakistan
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Pakistan

[ QUOTE ]
What I wanted to say is very simple.
One who think / act / believe he’s CHOSEN to dictate / rule / change the others instead of treating them equally, usually cannot expect a wide support for his actions beyond his borders.

That’s why ‘chosen’ usually are rejected even by the closest friends no matter if that is reduced only to couple of people or the whole nation’s policy. That’s why AQ or terrorist groups are rejected beyond their limited ‘borders’ and that’s why current US policy is rejected worldwide. You want examples – Iraq is a good one. Over 95% of Iraqis reject AQ and at the same time 80% of Iraqis demand US forces to leave within 2 years. Both groups are acting as chosen to dictate / rule / change Iraqis. I can show you how rejected current US policy really is worldwide including in the closest allies to get you examples / evidences if you’d like that (have posted them several times). Also, history is full of evidences how those acting as chosen get rejected all the time. I think you’ll agree that is totally natural to oppose those acting as chosen and that’s good because they are devastating and demolishing for the wider society and relations.

Here is a good link about what we’re talking about (funny, it was published today).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with you on that at all. Also, I'm not in favor of ruling over others.

I'm trying to say it is irrational to asssume that they look at things as we do OR that they are necessarily as rational as we are (on average, and partially dependent on the definition of rationality, too).

I read somewhere today that something like 50% of Pakistan supports bin-Laden. Is that rational? Who knows? Is it rational by our standards: no. But why assume that others look at things like we do, or that what we see as rationality, they do also??? IMO it's a great mistake to make such assumptions.