View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Spin Off Logic Problem From Genius-Religion Debate

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
See my edit as well for another reason I'm not convinced a higher IQ individual is more likely to solve a problem than a lower IQ individual. Test conditions necessarily impose artificial limitations.

I'll ponder on some examples - I dont have a catalog, I just expect the category exists, since it seems unlikely to me that we have been able to formulate the optimal approach for solving all problems.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, this is more about groups than individuals. Of course one individual can have more common sense than another, but I'd like to hear how IQ can bias thinking strongly enough, across the group of smart individuals, that their important advantages in other areas would be wiped out.

The reason I challenged you to come up with examples is because it seems your comments are just coming from a gut feeling. If what you say is true, there should be examples in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was definitely a gut feeling and I'll think on it further. However, I by no means meant to suggest that the class of problems I am referring to was either large, nor important in a real-world sense.

I think the situation DS is describing would be explained either by Y being in this class of anti-IQ problems or being so difficult that it is beyond human limits. I approach life from the arrogant position that I can solve anything if I think about it long enough, so I've probably discounted this second explanation without adequate justification. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]