View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Spin Off Logic Problem From Genius-Religion Debate

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In that small subset of questions, high IQ will be a liability.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine a high IQ being a liability in practical terms. Maybe an absurd hypothetical like "in order to get the question right, you must fail to understand it," but in the real world - high IQ a liability?

[/ QUOTE ]
There were no constraints on Y in DS's scenario. I agree with you that a high IQ is a good indicator of problem solving ability in general. I dont think it's right to annoint it as the be-all and end-all though - I suspect a category of (perhaps odd) questions exists which will deceive people who approach problems in the way that scoring highly on an IQ test requires - perhaps Y is one of those questions.

[/ QUOTE ]
In fact, I think it's quite likely Y is one of these odd questions. If you line up six freaks with IQs of 200, probably only 2 of them think it's true. 4 of them think it's false. When you survey 100 people with IQs of 150, around 25 think it's true and 75 think it's false.

I dont see what grounds you have for thinking it's probably true, since most people think it's false (including the super-geniuses). If you're going to go with false, you have to then explain why the high-IQ people are more likely to get it wrong. Y being in the hypothetical category I'm talking about is probably a good explanation, dont you think?