View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Improving the pass interference rule in the NFL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This would be true if the refs weren't being told to throw penalty flags on every PI anyway, as evinced by Patriots/Colts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree a lot of the time, as the flag often comes flying on some really ticky-tack crap.

But I also think there are cases in which the officials weigh the situation and consequence against the severity of the foul. For instance, Kevin Faulk was clearly, though not egregiously, held on an underneath crossing pattern Sunday. And if it was 3rd-and-2, I think we would have seen a flag thrown. But it was 3rd-and-15 (I think), and the official kept it in his pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea how this applies. The pass was a screen pass.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My bet is that you would see less penalty yards, even if you would see more penalties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but as I said before, the number of penalties (especially if they come with automatic 1st downs) can be just as important as the total penalty yards.

The arbitrary nature and sometimes enormous impact of pass interference is a big problem. I'm just not sure introducing a 'minor' penalty option is the best solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

and my contention is that given that the arbitrary nature of PI has clearly swung towards throwing the penalty flag if there's any question, this should help make it less of a game-changer as well as eliminate the 'bomb it downfield and hope to draw a flag' plays.