View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: New lifting routine - critique?

[ QUOTE ]
From a newbie's perspective these exercises are quite intimidating to learn, I will watch the videos and stuff. I'm not resistant to change here, that is why I am asking you guys. I wish I learned this when I was younger - I ran every day so the lifting was more of a side thing to look good.

When I went through the links in the sticky I thought the "starting strength" post was just trying to sell a book, didn't go through it all, now that I went back that link looks like pure gold.

Should I get a trainer for 5 sessions (this is at a 24 hr fitness) to teach us technique?

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely understand. You will quite frankly suck at squats for a while. Get the movement down by practicing bodyweight squats (at home etc). Get down between your legs, not over them. I played ice hockey and soccer in my childhood and high school, and I will tell you that although you may be fast or have big legs, they are probably weak as [censored]. Mine certainly were. You will also find that your hamstrings and glutes are weaker than your quads, which deep squats will certainly help remedy.

The link would probably be copyright infringement if it weren't ok'ed by the author. It is gold.

I would make sure to interview them before signing up for lessons. Let them know you just want feedback on your form for the specific exercises, not some instruction on their own isolation exercises. Make sure that if they are teaching you squats they are doing it correctly. I know that's kinda hard in your situation, but watch this video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ting&hl=en

and some of the youtube videos I posted in the november monthly [censored] thread. Those are good examples of squat form.

I imagine they will probably try to tell you different exercises to perform as well. I once asked a guy to check my back straightness during deadlifts, since I didn't have a partner or eyes in back of my head, and then he started asking me why I was doing them, like it was a poor exercise, or I was an idiot. Then he started showing me how to do stiff-legged deadlifts. How do you train at a gym and not know how to do a regular goddamned deadlift? I dunno, guess I'm just ranting here.

OK, rant over. 24 hr trainers can be annoying.