View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: New lifting routine - critique?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know we don't do legs but I am not really interested in bulking up there - I played soccer and still have lots of muscle in my legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone who's ever lifted has been told that squats are the backbone of any program, and yet a majority of folks decide that given the limited amount of time they have and their desire for bigger arms/chest and their contentment with the size/shape of their legs that they should do bench/curls. Pure folly.

Anyway. Get your diet in order, and whatever gets you into the gym or working out is a step in the right direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never played a sport in HS/college that had a lifting program, so I've never really been formally told anything one way or the other on squats until now, and certainly never shown how to do them. In college - yeah I was just lifting to look good. No formal instruction at all.

From a newbie's perspective these exercises are quite intimidating to learn, I will watch the videos and stuff. I'm not resistant to change here, that is why I am asking you guys. I wish I learned this when I was younger - I ran every day so the lifting was more of a side thing to look good.

When I went through the links in the sticky I thought the "starting strength" post was just trying to sell a book, didn't go through it all, now that I went back that link looks like pure gold.

Should I get a trainer for 5 sessions (this is at a 24 hr fitness) to teach us technique?