View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Does the thought of Hell ever scare an atheist?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Btw, if you really did study the bible as thorougly as you contend how come you never arrived at the conclusion that arrogance could get in the way of understanding?

Arrogance often gets in the way of any study whether its a biblical or completely non-biblical one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, but that understanding went the other way. I understand and liked that good science is humble to the effect that it accepts alternate explanations and seeks to understand if they hold true.

Science doesn't claim the ultimate answer, so there isn't the calm security that religion offered - as many things will go unanswered. But the (good) bits of science are devoid of the religious arrogance of laying absolute claim to answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well be like Newton. Have your cake and eat it too. Don't set science up as your God. Keep them separate. God never said you couldn't have science. He lets us be the beneficiaries of science.

The problem a lot of scientists have is they stay too busy. Take Newton. Its said he couldn't rest until he'd solved a problem. He once solved a math problem in an afternoon that the rest of Europe had been wrestling with for months. Eventually he retired from from the math/science side to study prophecy more. He knew it was important. I mean this is the father of calculus putting God first. Its just sometimes we stay too busy. That's how you miss God in all the "to and fro" of the devil. The devil likes to keep us too busy to notice what's going on. I know talking about the devil is crazy, it took me years to get my mind around him.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the original scriptures that ultimately lead to modern day Christianity the devil is simply part of God's court and can't act alone - his task is simply to test the beliefs and practices of believers (the story of Job is the classic example), so I really question to what extent 'the devil' can be a important belief to grasp for a Christian.

As for being religious, I don't mind your comments, but I like being an atheist. Looking for answers and accepting the unknown seems more spiritual to me than having it all in a big black book.

Religion is intriguing to study and debate on ocassion, but I'm not follower material.