Old 11-06-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]

in the situation you describe, are you not tipping because

1- Some moralistic stance

2- Save a few bucks

Most probably think 2 and say 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

My moral stance is thus: I spend on what I feel is worth it. If I don't feel it's worth it to tip, I don't. There are no ifs, there are no buts, and I don't care if I'm called a cheapskate or look like a douche or whatever. If the service was worth it and I still didn't tip, then you would be correct.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, dude, but the tone of your posts in this thread is definitely self-congratulatory

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of which is derived simply because up to those points in my posts I was about the only person who posted an extended reasoning / diatribe on not tipping. Seriously, whenever there's a mass consensus on something and someone differs and explains why they differ in anything that can be construed as a rant, they are suddenly "self-congratulatory."

[ QUOTE ]
not to mention the fact that you have Mr. Pink as your avatar--"Not on my watch," etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're much too quick to make assumptions. And why do I have Mr. Pink as my avatar? Wait, do you really think I made the custom changes and themed my stuff all on my own, just because of a thread on tipping? If you suspected that, you have some logical issues to fix.

[ QUOTE ]
And sorry, but not usually tipping is the definition of "miserly."

[/ QUOTE ]

I would likely ignore this if you said that the single action of not tipping can be the definition of miserly, but it would be a laughable proposition to try to convince anyone that one single action would define a person. And it's pretty evident that the connotation of miserly implies a previous motive or premeditated belief; "miserly" people don't just impulsively decide not to leave tips on random. I have my reasons why I don't, but if my reasons make me "miserly," you should try to point out how my reasons coincide with miserly rather than tossing out "miserly" buzzwords.

[ QUOTE ]
If you're okay with being the antisocial creep who doesn't tip

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, so I have no choice -- I have to become a minion and go along with what everyone else does, right? If that's your logic for why you tip, that's all fine and dandy, but it's not something I choose to subscribe to.

[ QUOTE ]
more power to you and I'm sure you're saving a lot of $$, but you can't really have it both ways--you're a cheapskate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, a person can be mean in regards to a situation but not be a mean person. A father can be mean in his punishment towards his son, but that doesn't necessarily dictate him as a mean person. If you want to call me not tipping being a cheapskate, that's fine and I particularly couldn't care less -- I guess it's accurate, and I'm fine with it. But to imply not tipping makes you less of a person -- seriously, miserly? Stop the hyperbole. -- and forms the basis of my character is simply fallacious.