View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Preflop betting sizes and implied odds...big question guys

As Pzhon pointed out there is a huge range when you say TPTK. Stacking off when you have top pair and it's a 9 (or a 6) is much different than when you have AK with either A or K on the board.

Here are a couple more variables: position, board texture and opponent.

In position or if you're the aggressor you can control the flow of the hand a little better. There's a big difference between moving all in and calling an all in. Board texture can be tricky. A board with multiply draws can be tough to give up on against opponents who play their draws very aggressively. Big bets on drawless boards can mean big trouble. Which brings me to how your opponents play. The more you know about their playing style the better you can narrow their hand range.

Just a few things to think about.

I think getting it in with a pair of Aces or Kings is absolutely correct under some circumstances. Other times it is totally wrong.

And if you always call your stack off with any top pair, or push it all in, then I'd say your correct. You're giving players a great shot at some huge implied odds (they know you'll stack off) plus moving all in (I'm assuming it's a decent size overbet on the flop) on a board of T,7,3 when you have A,T almost guarantees the only players that call you have you beat.