View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: In the case against religious theism, what is so damning...

[ QUOTE ]
It is also entirely possible (and I would think very likely) that you have a whole bunch of beliefs which arent derived from evidence - I'm thinking of the consequences of cultural, political, psychological or emotional differences that exist between people for example. My comment arose from considering this situation. The question then is, what would happen if one of those was pointed out to you? I'd be skeptical of anyone claiming the ability to "switch off" a belief if they suddenly became aware that there was a gap in their evidence chain (though I expect it would gradually disappear over time).

[/ QUOTE ]

There are beliefs that I hold that don't have anything to do with the objective world. For instance, I believe that it is good to refrain from hurting people for no reason. That belief is concerning a subjective judgement, not an objective fact. To my knowledge (excluding axiomatic beliefs such as that there exists an objective world at all) I don't hold any beliefs about the objective world which I realise are unsupported by evidence. You can suggest some possible ones I might hold if you think I'm wrong.