View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Do you felt top set (when it\'s the nuts on the flop)?

[ QUOTE ]
I lost a few all-ins tonight.

Twice I had top set on the flop, potted or reraised the flop, but got callers. What do you do if a draw card hits (flush or straight) and you're set all-in?

You have 10 outs to boat up or make quads.

When are you pot-committed, what percentage of your stack has to be in the pot already?

What if it's a 3-way all-in, that changes the implied odds, right?

Get as much of your stack in the pot on the flop, is that the optimal play?

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, get as much money into the pot as possible with top set (if it is the nuts). Almost any turn card that does not pair the board will complete a straight or flush draw. If I have a monster draw to go along with my set (such as a nut flush draw) I might raise less than the pot to draw in my opponent.

If you get a lot of action, oftentimes you will be up against a lower set, two pair or some sort of combo draw (but will have more equity).

If it is 3-way or more, you have to be more wary of someone hitting a draw on the turn. Heads-up, you don't have to be as worried but you may want to slow down if a passive player suddenly becomes beserko.

If you still have a lot of your stack left and a turn card completes a draw and a couple players go beserko, you may want to dump your hand.