View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 03:14 AM

Default New lifting routine - critique?

Sorry if I come across as a lame newb here but please be gentle.
Background: 35, used to lift alot in college (enough to the point that I did bench press sets of 8-12 with 265-275)and enjoyed it. I like many turned into a slob last 8 years or so. I have been doing cardio (eliptical) 30 minutes 3-5 times a week for two years and realize I need to weight train to really get back in shape. Goal is weight loss and getting muscle back.

I have a friend I can lift with every 2-3 days but at the time we can go it is fairly crowded. We are have been doing the workout really quick with minimal rest between sets to make it kinda cardio as well so want to use minimal number of apparatus at a time to minimize time between sets and the crowding.

This is what we have been doing the last two weeks in this order generally (note we can't go every day to train alternate muscle groups):

3 sets flat bench
2 sets inclines
3 sets barbell butterflys

2 sets shoulder with barbells (lift straight out to 90 degrees)

3 sets triceps (with a curl bar that we lay down on a bench and then flex/extend to forehead)

3 sets biceps either with curl bar or barbells

3 sets lats on a machine with pulling bar down behind neck

abs (crunches on one of those slanted boards)

We do these with maximal effort and spotting where applicable. I know we don't do legs but I am not really interested in bulking up there - I played soccer and still have lots of muscle in my legs.

Is this a decent workout for 2 35/39 year old guys? I am still going to do the eliptical 3 days a week on top of this. I have felt great since starting. Or am I doing something horribly wrong here?