View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Two missed value bets?

[ QUOTE ]
With both hands, I would raise on the flop or raise on the turn. You want to see where you're at, and also build a somewhat big pot when you have a decent hand. Calling down is sooooo weak and is pretty terrible. You must raise with these hands so you can put your opponent on a range. Calling does you nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on villains range and how aware he is of kickers, raising the flop or turn folds out aces with a crappy kicker and convinces TPTK+ that they don't need to be aggressive to get the money in this time. In the first hand calling can get us extra value from the kind of player who donks into the PFR with a worse pair or TPWK and shuts down to further aggression. In the second hand it gets also do the same from a PP or whiffed broadway that are willing to double barrell. In addition raising stands a good chance of Hero facing a PSB on the river from any villain who sticks around and suddenly the fact that we have less than AK starts to really suck.

In the first hand I think that a 1/2 pot is worth it as I think that we are the better hand here when called enough even with two players in the pot. In the second hand I would check behind unless our table image is such that villain will call thinking that we might be bluffing on a scare card. If he doesn't think we bluff scare cards then I don't see anyone but a player who can't fold top pair calling our bet.

Keep in mind this is one area that I also have a lot of trouble with.