View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Re: VR\'s Starting Strength log

[ QUOTE ]
VR, dunno if you read all the SS stuff but you are not supposed to start with a weight that is near your 5 rep max. You should start well below where you think you need to, that way you can shoot up with a good progression while your body gets used to the program. Also Smiley is right, the first few weeks should be mainly about flexibility and technique, that's gonna be what's holding you back.

You should work with just the bar a bit and then start your squats at like 150 or even less and make sure you can do 3x5 clean all the way deep without your pelvis rolling forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

cbloom,

To be honest, I went in the gym last week and I just followed the procedures in the SS FAQ linked in the sticky. Basically, started real light and just kept increasing the weight until my form started to break down. Sounds like maybe my squat form may have broken down in squats earlier than I thought though, I thought getting parallel to the floor was deep enough.

Anyhow, if you think I should dial back some, I will But I wont lie, even though intellectually I know its not true, but when I go into the gym, I know I would feel like I was wasting my time if I went in there and did these exercises with really low weights (other than for a warmup set or two). I know thats not true, but I know this is what I will feel like to a degree at least. Thoughts on all this spew? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]