View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Proposed internet poker ban in MA

A Research Director of the committee where the bill currently sits returned my call earlier tonight and was good enough to discuss the proposed legislation at some length.

FWIW, my impression was that she was receptive to feedback from the poker community, including my request that the committee should study and/or treat online games of skill played for cash (e.g., poker, bridge/Scrabble tournaments) differently than other forms of online gambling based solely on chance.

A few tidbits:
- Committee on Economic Development and Emerging Technologies first received a copy of proposed bill on Oct 18th, so their review is obviously ongoing
- She appeared to listen carefully & be taking notes regarding the UIGEA, my concerns as an online poker player, etc.
- She commented that they had heard negative feedback regarding making online gambling a felony (in other words, the volume we generate of this kind feedback does seem to have an effect)
- The committee will likely hold a public hearing this winter on the bill, date to be announced

She welcomed any input, studies, white papers, etc. that individuals or any group like the PPA cared to submit, and relayed her email address as one way to route that kind of info to the committee (monica.garlick@state.ma.us).

Overall, I came away with a positive impression of her professionalism and the committee's apparent intent to examining this bill in some detail, including the offending clause banning online wagering.