Thread: 1/2 river spot
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: 1/2 river spot

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably bet/fold river for ~1/2 pot but like the way you played the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very standard play for many of us, myself included, and I am trying to question its perhaps overusage here. It is obvious that he rarely raises a worse hand in the river, so it is a safe fold when he does, but for the same price we get him to put money in with hands that instafold to a bet. As Iggy was saying, its hard for him to have a hand that beats us here and can call, but easy for him to show up with a panoply of missed of draws, so letting him bet that latter group of hands is key. It is spots that have this character that are the perfect places to induce a bluff. It simply takes more discipline than many of our opponents have to just check it down with a missed draw if they still have an avenue to win the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
very true and a thing I have been experiment pretty much with lately, even with the pure nuts (c/r instead of just betting river when its a high chance villian has a missed draw) and definitely something for many players (inc myself) to think more on.

however, in this particular spot with the 3rd player in I prefer the bet/fold to the check even though its kinda close. if it was HU it would still be somewhat close but checking would probably be the better play.

all this is very villian/flow/history-depending though.